Saturday, February 25, 2012

Busy Day

Today was a bit of a baking day...
An oldie but a goody! A favorite recipe book of mine. This was probably an auction find by my sister-in-law.
I have its twin, McCall'sCookie Collection which belonged to my grandmother.




Look at the artwork at the top of the page and the photos of each step! :)

 Here's the crust recipe that I used.
I'm running out of lard, so I haven't been using it for pies. If you do, remember to adjust your salt if need be.
This doubles just fine!


First pie up...


Here she is... (yes, she, because anything so beautiful has to be a 'she')

Mmmmm!  My favorite!

 I used four yolks in the filling, like the recipe calls for, but used 7 egg whites in the meringue and adjusted the sugar, etc. I like a nice high meringue and besides, what was I to do with the whites from this next pie?!
  


Used this recipe minus the meringue, add bananas and whipped cream

 This is actually a banana cream pie in the works.
It's got browning bananas on top because I didn't have any cream in the house. I'll pick some up on the way to Carol & Barry's and whip it there. 

 


Now, the little bit of sewing that got done today... 


 another block from the Shop Hop. It's called Winged Star...
Allentown Sewing Center's contribution to the Hop.
I know, I know this isn't done on my 'new' New Home, but instead on my Featherweight.
The thing there is that I really don't like sewing 1/4" seams without a 1/4" foot!
Spoiled, maybe.
Gonna have my way, definitely!
I have the guys at the White/Singer shop ordering me a foot. As soon as I get it I'll be using it. It runs great and so smooth. I really like using such a solid machine!

So, that was my day - besides meals, dishes, and running Sawyer to a basketball game (for 2 1/2 hours).
Pretty busy, I think!

3 comments:

  1. Oh my goodness- busy girl! I've been wanting lemon merengue for awhile - think you could save me a piece?, lol. That pie is beautiful :) The new block looks great, you are a spoiled girl- extra blessed. I hope you are having good day today too.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Direct from Aunt Linda, if it wasn't already 7:30pm on Sunday night I'd be on my way for a visit and lemon merengue pie, bet it's all gone by now!! The block is beautiful like that pattern not sure if I've seen that one before. Love the cookbook Grammy Williams would be so proud!...

    Hi to everyone else!

    Love from Aunt Linda

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your pies are beautiful, but they taste even better than they look ! I'm putting in my order for a coconut pie while I'm visiting !
    Mom

    ReplyDelete

No ID? Use ANONYMOUS! Don't forget to give your name!