Wednesday, May 23, 2012

Gardening

Finally, I made some time for a little gardening! And oh, how happy I am to know that one of my beds is up to par.  Now if only I could keep the neighbor's stinkin' cats out!!! Mulched or not, they still come and dig in the soil and leave the nastiest little presents  {euwwwww yuk}


Here in another bed is a Siberian Iris. This was started I think two years ago from splitting one that had been given to me by my mother's friend, Margaret. I can't remember NOT knowing Margaret. She's no longer with us as she passed away several years ago now due to Cancer. I used  to stop in and see her from time to time or she would come over here.  We'd chat about gardening or our families. I'm fortunate to have reminders of her around my house. There are plants in the flowerbeds that came from her and the valance I have around my front porch was originally her idea. Her house in the neighboiring town and mine were the only ones around with a valance on the porch. People have told me how much they like mine and asked me if I had ever seen the one in S'ville. "Oh, yes", I'd say. She was my inspiration. {sigh} Sometimes I really miss Margaret.


You'll have to excuse the weeds. Isn't it pretty? I like them so much better than traditional Iris. The blades are so soft and delicate and grow in this compact "bush" which looks nice even after the blooms are gone. See the little gnome my mom gave me? She surprised me with it several years ago when she drove up. We were eating at a Cracker Barrel in Florida and I spotted this in the store, but couldn't take it on the plane. I really like her even though she is now faded and this year I found that the top of her hat has a hole in it!

Back to the cats... my husband bought Critter Ridder (Havahart) made mostly of black pepper oil. I spread it around the bed and alas, they still dug in the soil. SO, if you have any solutions perhaps maybe homemade repellants or the like, PLEASE leave me a comment. Happy gardening to you all!

5 comments:

  1. The flower bed looks great, and sorry I'm not up on how to stop flower beds from being cat litter boxes ! Your sure to find something about it on other gardening blogs, but meantime I will ask my friend Roganne, she's a "garden bug" like you ! She lives up in Bath and she's always posting pictures of her plants on facebook.
    Your beautiful Iris's were a tearful but special memory of Margaret, and how special she was to all her friends, family and to everyone who was Blessed to have her in our life.
    About your gnome, she can be repaired with MH READY PATCH. It's a spackling and patching compound for outdoor use and I used it to repair my frog Roganne bought for me ! Then you can sand her and paint her and she will be as good as new !
    Thanks for sharing your beautiful garden with me as I probably won't see it in person.
    Love Ya !
    Mom

    ReplyDelete
  2. Pepper oil didn't work for me either. Maybe try something stronger, with a blood content to it. I've heard of moth balls being used to keep cats away. The quick & easy answer to the cat problems I've had here is a trap. Then they go for a long ride. If I had a gun I'd just shot it. It's my property & I don't want cats on it.~~ Roganne

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think your garden is beautiful!Her stinky cats are actually really stinky! Poor little gnome! I think you should try what Grammy said well,You want me to go do something else soooo...BYE!
    Fronsie

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Raina, the garden is beautiful so is the gnome. Lee's foot Dr sorta looks like a chubby nome. Anyway, sorry on the cats. My cat is an indoor critter and doesn't bother anyone but 'us'. Wish I could say same for my neighbors barking dogs. So goes life. Not sure on how to get rid of them them would suggest moth balls but the can cause environmental problems to other critters that have no choice but to live in outdoors. I am sure Margaret is smiling down on the beautiful IRIS, she was a pleasure to know. I always have geraniums (lee's mom) and petunias (my mom) every year in memory of the 'moms'.

    Have a great holiday weekend keep up with the 'blog' when you can much enjoyed.

    Love to all A-Linda, U-Lee

    ReplyDelete
  5. Beautiful gardens Raina! I miss her too many times so much but one day we will all be at the BIG reunion and wow will that be fun! Love you - great blog!

    ReplyDelete

No ID? Use ANONYMOUS! Don't forget to give your name!